Satellite images are the main source of thematic information for the inland waterways mapping.
Besides of thematic mapping satellite imagery is used for the following tasks:
- ice regimes of water bodies and icebergs monitoring;
- coastline monitoring;
- navigation and oil spills monitoring;
- research and monitoring of organic water resources;
- analysis of water pollution and water circulation.
Satellite imagery permits to explore water resources and how the ecosystem is changing under the influence of natural and anthropogenic factors.
Space monitoring is helpful when it is necessary to:
- identificate sources of water pollution
- check the condition of hydrotechnical structures;
- study the dynamics of water pollution;
- control the emergency situation during flooding;
- estimate the ice coverage in regions of Far North.